Knitchique

A chick who goes on and on about knitting, designing knitting, crazy musings, shoes, family, and other stuff that pops into my too full head.

Saturday, March 31, 2007

The TOO-BIG Sweater part II

I thought I'd show you a little more of the crazy journey that is my Norweigan sweater.



















This is the sweater that started it all. I looked and looked for a pattern to go off of, but there were none to be found that matched it. So...like I said in the last post, I bought the sweater and copied it...















...on graph paper...by hand...x by little x...all night long...It was almost meditative...and very obsessive.

Then I took a class on two colored continental knitting at the 2001 Minnesota Knitter's Guild Yarn Over and learned to carry both colors in my left hand whilst picking the stitches. This was invaluable technique that made knitting my sweater not only sanely possible, it made it much faster than it would have gone had I been throwing the colors one at a time.














Next came the "making it my size" thing. I measured and swatched and measured again. I RE-CHARTED the sweater to my specifications in the new color I chose to go better with my bronze hair. More little x's...there are also charts for the sleeves and button bands and other bits.

Here is part of the chart for the words I knit in. It had to be knit upside-down and backwards on the hem facing.














I love those words, although today I would choose different words, but that is what life does to us, it changes us and moves us to a different place. Different place = different words.

So...Am I changed so much that fixing the sweater size would not satisfy me now? Or am I so changed that I'd prefer a RED sweater now? My hair certainly is. Do I chalk this up to experience? I can look at each item I've knitted as a stop on my journey. Do I want to go back to that harbor and re-live frustration? Or shall I love it as it is, move on to my next destination?

1 Comments:

Blogger grrrlartist said...

you should get some kind of award for your perserverence. fo-sheezy!

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home