Knitchique

A chick who goes on and on about knitting, designing knitting, crazy musings, shoes, family, and other stuff that pops into my too full head.

Friday, May 11, 2007

Sheryl and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day!

I have had a terrible time knitting my latest project. I had been knitting the Shapely Tank by White Lies Designs, and although I have made one before, this one was not going well. I was using Silky Tweed, and went back to the project after over a year. I recently attended a "Finishing for the Finicky" class, and wanted to do my finishing "right", so...I measured my gauge (off of the previously started tank...a good 10" long and 24" wide) and ripped out to start over. I was going to do this correctly! I measured my body, for all the places my short rows needed to go, and charted out the pattern. I was confident that all would go smoothly. Well...it seemed long, but I figured when it stretched over my body, it would shorten up slightly. I kept knitting. Last night, I sewed it together and finished the garter stitch neckline. I tried it on, and...

It is too big, too baggy, and too long!!

I was put into a terrible mood as a result, and it took a whole day to feel better. The only solution I can visualize is to burn it. Yup! Set the whole damn thing on fire and take joy in watching it go up in flames. Now, I most likely won't practice pyromania on a failed knitting project, but it makes me feel better thinking about it. It would be done, gone, and out of my life.

I must find out where I'm missing the boat. After all the careful measurements and checking gauge and planning, you'd think that it would turn out. What went wrong?? Did my gauge change as I went along? Did my yarn relax too much on me? Do I think I am bigger than I am?? I always try to be very honest with my measurements, so as not to make anything to small...couldn't wear it then either. Maybe I needed to make it smaller than my measurements so it would be snug. I just don't know. To make matters worse, I actually kind-of pride myself on being able to figure most everything out that I get involved with. I AM good at just about everything I do. AND... I AM the Knitchique afterall. SIGH!!
Bags and purses and accessoried I can do...fitted garments are something I need to get right, or it/they will consume me!

I want to find the piece to the puzzle! I want to hook up with someone who can shed some light on this for me. I am sure I will find the answer, but darn it, so much knitting with so little results, or satisfying results, and not even learning from it.

1 Comments:

Blogger renee said...

I do think negative ease might be better if you're looking for something a little more fitted. My favorite way to figure out what size to knit something is to try to find a similar shaped garment in a similar weight of yarn (either at home or in a store and use the fitting room to do measurements) that I like the fit of and measure everything on it - the chest width, the armhole depth, the neck depth, etc. Good luck!!

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home